Current:Home > MyFinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Arkansas hires John Calipari to coach the Razorbacks, a day after stepping down from Kentucky -Elevate Profit Vision
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Arkansas hires John Calipari to coach the Razorbacks, a day after stepping down from Kentucky
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 15:04:49
FAYETTEVILLE,FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center Ark. (AP) — Arkansas hired John Calipari as men’s basketball coach on Wednesday, a day after the Hall of Fame coach stepped down from the Kentucky program he led to the 2012 NCAA championship.
The 65-year-old Calipari signed a five-year contract with an annual base salary of $7 million through April 2029 with a maximum of two automatic rollover years for NCAA Tournament appearances that would extend the contract to 2031.
The deal includes a $1 million signing bonus and features retention bonuses of $500,000 each year of the contract along with one-time bonuses for making the NCAA Tournament, reaching the second round, Sweet 16, Final Four and winning a national championship.
Arkansas vice chancellor and director of athletics Hunter Yurachek announced Calipari’s hiring in a news release.
An introductory news conference is scheduled for Wednesday evening in Fayetteville.
Calipari replaces Eric Musselman, who left for the job at Southern California. He inherits a program that went 16-17 last season after three consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances, including the Sweet 16 a year ago.
Calipari announced that he was stepping down as Kentucky coach on Tuesday, saying in a video that the program “needs to hear another voice.”
He left the Wildcats after going 410-123 in 15 years, including 23-10 this past season. But the past few campaigns have been disappointing by Kentucky standards with a 1-3 mark in its last three NCAA trips, including first-round losses to No. 14 seed Oakland last month and No. 15 seed Saint Peter’s two years ago. The Wildcats were top-three seeds both times.
The most recent NCAA loss set off immediate calls to fire Calipari before athletic director Mitch Barnhart stated soon after that Calipari would return next season. Doing so would’ve triggered a buyout of more than $33 million to dismiss him under the terms of a 10-year, “lifetime” contract signed in 2019.
Money is no longer an issue for Kentucky with Calipari’s announcement and Arkansas’ seismic move that at first glance makes the Razorbacks immediate SEC contenders given the coach’s track record. Kentucky won six conference tournament championships and six regular season titles, though it hasn’t won the tournament title since 2017.
“It was my dream job,” Calipari said in the video. “Anybody in our profession looks at the University of Kentucky in basketball and said, ‘that is the bluest of blue.’ The last few weeks we’ve come to realize that this program probably needs to hear another voice that the university as a whole has to have another voice giving guidance about this program that they hear and the fans need to hear.”
___
AP March Madness bracket: https://apnews.com/hub/ncaa-mens-bracket and coverage: https://apnews.com/hub/march-madness
veryGood! (53)
Related
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Survival of Wild Rice Threatened by Climate Change, Increased Rainfall in Northern Minnesota
- Broncos coach Sean Payton is making his players jealous with exclusive Jordan shoes
- Southern Charm: Everything to Know (So Far) About Season 9
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Cottage cheese has many health benefits. Should you eat it every day?
- Glover beats Cantlay in playoff in FedEx Cup opener for second straight win
- Trial for Hunter Biden is not inevitable, his attorney says
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- 2 dead after plane crashes into North Carolina lake, authorities say
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Pair of shootings in Chicago leave 1 dead, 7 wounded
- Michael Oher, former NFL tackle known for ‘The Blind Side,’ sues to end Tuohys’ conservatorship
- This Zillow Gone Wild church-turned-mansion breathes new life into former gathering space
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Russia targets Ukrainian city of Odesa again but Kyiv says it shot down all the missiles and drones
- Billy Porter Calls Out Anna Wintour Over Harry Styles’ Vogue Cover
- Argentine peso plunges after rightist who admires Trump comes first in primary vote
Recommendation
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Showcases Baby Bump in Garden Walk Selfie
Summer heat takes a toll on your car battery: How to extend its lifespan
New Mexico Supreme Court provides guidance on law enforcement authority during traffic stops
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Rebel Wilson's Baby Girl Royce Is Cuteness Overload in New Photo
Louisville students to return to school on Friday, more than a week after bus schedule meltdown
How Jonathan Scott Became Zooey Deschanel's MVP